Sale ends 3/26/17. Excludes select manufacturers.
Min. purchase $299.
Tile is a beautiful flooring choice, with its endless array of shapes, colors and patterns, but grout is grout and it needs a good cleaning every once in a while to keep it looking as good as the tile.
And really, that’s what clean grout is all about. Dazzling white grout makes tile pop, so what’s the quickest and easiest way to get it?
Well, if we start at the beginning …
Colored (and/or) Stain-Proof Grout
If you’re reading this, chances are good you already have grout, but if you don’t here’s a quick tip: Consider investing in stain-proof grout. It will still need to be cleaned from time to time, because mold and mildew are vicious, but it’s worth a look.
Also, colored tile is an option. Like carpet, your car or any other product, a little color can mask stain better, which means longer intervals between cleaning.
Now, on to the good part!
Step 1: Choose Your Grout-Cleaning Weapons
Here’s a short list of common grout-cleaning goodies:
- Lemon Juice
- Hydrogen Peroxide/Baking Soda + Vinegar
- Commercial Grout Cleaner
And, you’ll also need a grout brush or toothbrush – or an electric toothbrush, if you want to really go to town.
Step 2: Apply Your Cleaning Agent
First, it’s important to note that most of these things are acidic and/or caustic. It’s what makes them effective, but it also means it will erode your grout over time. So, these cleanings should not replace regular brush scrubbing with soap and water.
- No matter your mixture, test in a small area to make sure you’re not going to stain your tile.
- Apply the cleaning product to your grout and let it sit a few minutes.
- Scrub it away.
- Rinse with water.
- If using baking soda and vinegar (more acidic) or peroxide (less acidic), your mix should be 2 parts soda to 1 part liquid so it forms a paste.
- You’ll have to scrub about once a week with soap and water to avoid using stronger cleaners.
- Consider also using a grout sealant.
Or, you can always find someone local who can help at Porch.com!